Governance for academic matters in the Institute takes in the institutionalized organizational structural forms of senate and schools, which collectively are responsible for the effective delivery of academic programs of study in the campus. The senate affiliated with MSU is the highest authority in the MSI for Academic Matters and is empowered by the MSI constitution to formulate policies and guidelines. The MSI are the authorized bodies to oversee the implementation of these policies and guidelines. The governance of academic matters is carried out across the organizational structures of MSI through the institutionalized committees and sub-committees. The individual members of these committees interconnect with one another by attending the meetings of other committees to represent the views and perspectives of their respective committees for decision-making in matters related to academic delivery.
Governance structures and functions, and the relationships within them, are documented and openly communicated.
Academic activities are central to the operation of an Institute. As in the practice of many Institutes, all forms of academic activity in MSI are subjected to the policies, regulations and guidelines of the Senate affiliated with MSU which is the highest authority in the Institute with regard to all matters of academic as enshrined in the MSI Constitution. While the Senate deals with the policy directions and formulations, the University Academic Advisory Board (UAAB) is the principal committee that represents the Senate in translating these policies into implementation and practice in the Institute campus. The UAABprovides guide and direction to all the established academic units in the Institutes on the implementation of academic policies and guidelines for each specific area related to the academic units. The Academic Committee at the University Academic Advisory Board (UAAB) has autonomy in the planning and delivery of programmes. Decisions or recommendations made at the Institute level are reported to the UAABfor acknowledgement, approval or for endorsement accordingly.
Academic governance at MSI is practiced according to the following bodies formally set up by the Board of Governors (please refer to the Organization Chart of MSI):
(A) SENATE AFFILIATED WITH MSU
Senate affiliated with MSU is the highest authority for the deliberation and endorsement of all academic matters in the Institute. The Senate meeting which is held at least once a semester will use the data and the analysis of students’ performance as indicators of the Institute’s achievement towards its Vision; Mission. The teaching and learning strategies which have positively contributed to the students’ performance will be further enhanced. On the other hand, the strategies that resulted in the inability to meet the intended learning outcomes will be reviewed and improvised. The action plans which are endorsed by Senate will be communicated to staff for implementation.
Functions of the Senate are as follows:
- oversee the University’s performance and the academic activities of the Institute;
- regulate and oversee the discipline of the Institute;
- institute fellowship, studentship, scholarship, exhibition, bursaries, prizes and other such grants for the encouragement of study and research;
- promote research within the Institute;
- regulate and control all teaching, courses of study and research and the condition qualifying for Admission to the various titles, degrees and other distinction offered by the Institute;
- regulate the admission of persons to any particular scheme of study or research;
- regulate all Institute examinations;
- confer Diploma, degrees and grant other academic distinction to persons who shall have pursued a course of study or research approved by the Senate, who shall have passed the examination and satisfied any other conditions prescribed in the ordinance or regulations;
- recommend to the Institute Board of Governors the names of persons who, in the opinion of the Senate, should be deprived of any Degrees, distinctions or titles, Diplomas or Certificates, conferred on or granted to them by the Institute, and from whom all privileges connected in addition to that should be withdrawn
- consider students’ appeals pertaining to:
- progression from one part of a programme of studies to the next; or
- the outcome of examinations or a formal course of assessment: or
- Dissatisfaction of a student with the level of attainment where there exist new and relevant information concerning matters which might have affected that student’s performance.
- Terminate the studies of any student where Senate considers this appropriate;
- Take such steps as it thinks fit to control the organisation of the students;
- Appoint representatives of the Institute on other bodies.
- Prescribe the academic dress to be worn in the Institute, and to determine the form and conduct of all academic ceremonies;
(B) MSU ACADEMIC ADVISORY BOARD
The UniversityAcademic Advisory Board (UAAB) has the primary responsibility of monitoring overall academic matters such as the educational policy and programmes of instruction of all schools and all matters relating to the effectiveness and development of the schools. This encompasses the teaching-learning process, examinations and students’ performance, academic resources, academic staffing as well as seeking approval of all newly developed and revised programmes at MSI. It functions according to the duties and responsibilities outlined in terms of Reference for the UAABas below:
- Develops and implements the educational policy and programmes of instruction of all schools;
- Oversees matters relating to the effectiveness and development of the schools;
- Reviews the newly developed curriculum proposed by the School to ensure it meets the vision, mission of the Institute;
- Considers any changes of curriculum to comply with the quality standards and good practices stipulated by the Sri Lanka Qualification Agency and/or Professional Bodies;
- Recommends and seeks approval from the Senate of all newly developed programmes and substantial changes to existing programmes;
- Maintains a register of currently approved programmes and their period of approval;
- Organises and report to the Senate on Program Reviews and Annual Programme Performance;
- Advises the Senate on the need for new or revised policy relating to programmes offered by the Institute;
- Updates the School members on all matters relating to the approval and quality delivery of programmes;
- Provides advice to the Senate on the functioning of policies and procedures, associated with admissions, assessment and student progress;
- Receives and considers minutes from School Academic Committees;
- Studies and reviews the curriculum of a programme concerning recommendations made by internal and external auditors, external examiners and visiting professors in terms of its design and quality delivery;
(C) ACADEMIC HEAD COMMITTEE
The members of the AHCconsist of the following:
- Deputy Director
- Head of Departments
- Subject Experts (by invitation)
The AHCfunctions according to the duties and responsibilities outlined below:
- Implement the educational policy and programmes of instruction as outlined by the Institute
- Oversee matters relating to the effectiveness and efficiency of utilisation of academic resources in all Departments
- Review the newly developed curriculum proposed by the Department to ensure that it meets the Vision, Mission and Educational Objectives of the Institute.
- Propose and seek approval from the Institute Academic Committee of all newly developed programmes and substantial changes to existing programmes.
- Implement approved changes of curriculum to comply with the quality standards and good practices stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency and/or the Local Professional Bodies.
- Organise and report to the Institute Academic Committee on Programme Reviews and Annual Programme Performance.
- Receive and consider minutes from the Departments about academic-related matters.
- Exam and Awards Committee
This Committee is the main body who is responsible for planning the smooth operation of examinations for all the academic programs in the campus so that each student has the opportunity to be at their best possible composure to prepare and take his/her respective examination papers. The committee has the additional task of digesting all examination results to prepare an analysis of the students with the best academic performance for potential candidacy of awards that are made available in each semester of study.
- Academic Resource Committee
This Committee looks at all the various resources required for students to progress in their academic program of study. The resources can be regarding physical such as laboratory equipment or specific kitchen utensils or high-end computer hardware or concerning financing such as payment required for internships at hospital placements that demand specific fees for the employment of medical consultants and specialists in the academic training of students.
- Library Committee
This Committee oversees all the publication materials necessary for the academic study program of the students in the Institute which can be in the format of physical textbooks, journals, trade magazines, and other serials, CDs, videos, as well as the subscribed library packages for electronic books and journals.
- Student Disciplinary Committee
Student Disciplinary Committee shall conduct hearings on alleged infringement of Institute rules and recommend penalties and sanctions for students who have proven to violate the Institute policies and regulations. The hearing is not a formal process such as a civil or criminal trial but an educational endeavor which deals with alleged disruptive behavior. Continuous monitoring of students by this committee in terms of compliance with Institute policies and regulations throughout the full period of study is part of ensuring the quality of academic progress of the students.
- The Student Selection Committee
The Student Selection Committee shall evaluate the formal applications of potential students to enrol into any of the academic programs being offered by the Institute by ensuring that the students meet the minimum academic entrance qualifications as stipulated by the Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA), the Ministry of Higher Education as well as the relevant professional bodies.
- The Ethics Committee
The Ethics Committee shall study and evaluate the ethical issues of all School research proposals by science-based students who plan to carry out laboratory experiments using either human patients or animals as part of their study. This is to comply with the guidelines set by the Ministry of Health for such research projects, and the function of this committee serves to ensure that the students can progress in their academic program of study.